Reggio Emilia is called the city of the flag because the flag was born as the flag of the Republic Cispadana chosen by the deputies gathered in the town hall of Reggio ...
Reggio Emilia is known in Italy and in the world for quality of life that always places high in the rankings on livability and efficiency of the services, for the originality of the business model ,to the success of which has greatly contributed to the tradition of the cooperative system, for the advanced nature of its schools, especially kindergartens (Reggio Children) and especially for its food.
It was founded in the second century BC founded by the Roman consul Lepidus.
It is called the city of the tricolor as the tricolor flag of the Republic was born as Cispadana choice by deputies gathered in the hall of the municipality of Reggio. In 1848 the War of Independence was adopted as the national flag to symbolize the Italian Risorgimento. And it’s possible to visit the room of the flag and its museum.
Basilica of the Ghiara from the point of view of art is perhaps the most important building of the city. The Basilica is linked to a miracle that occurred April 29, 1596. The term ghiara, it is due to the fact that it is built at a point where the Crostolo stream flows, with large gravel deposits. The temple project is of architect Ferrara Alessandro Balbi; the construction of the reggiano Pacchioni which began construction in 1597. The district, for the altar of the city, commissioned Guercino a work that is considered a masterpiece: the Crucifixion of Christ, with at his feet the Madonna and Mary Magdalene, St. John and St. Prospero.
The church of Saint Jerome, located in the homonymous street ,is totally baroque, is an elaborate superposition of three speakers, which incorporates reproductions of the Holy Stair and the Holy Sepulchre, to plan it was Gaspare Vigarani, architect Reggiano, who also worked at the court of Louis XIV, the Sun King.
Cathedral in Piazza Prampolini, adorned by the manneristic statues of Clement, flanked by the Baptistery, which behind the Renaissance elevation conceals a Romanesque soul.
Basilica of San Prospero (protector of the city), in the homonymous square connected by a scenic walkway, said Sotto Broletto, to the square before. It has an eighteenth-century façade brickwork, grafted on clear Renaissance lines, and has a rich decorative apparatus that has its apex in the Judgment by Camillo Procaccini.