info@ilbrugnolo.it + 39 0522.983980

Scandiano

Scandiano

Defined by Carducci land of scholars and poets, Scandiano is the most populous municipality after the capital which is only 13 km.

Scandiano is defined by Carducci land of scholars and poets. In fact many were born here Matteo Maria Boiardo (the poet of Orlando Innamorato), scientist and naturalist Lazzaro Spallanzani and to the present day, Scandiano is the hometown of Romano Prodi.

It is the most populous municipality after the capital which is only 13 km and it is located at the boundary between the band of hills and high plains. We begin our  walk in the center of the arcaded square named Lazzaro Spallanzani, the great researcher born in the town in 1729, considered the founder of experimental biology, author of important research on artificial insemination.

At the center of the square a statue depicts  the famous scientist. Going back to Corso Garibaldi, one of the oldest streets of the center,  it arrives to the impressive clock tower built from Feltrino Boiardo in 1430 as the gateway of the ancient village. In the same year Magati street is defined, formerly Via del Castello, along which lived the nobles of Scandiano. Among these the best known is the birthplace of Spallanzani with baroque facade, interior dating back to the early seventeenth century, with balconies and staircases court.

A few meters walk and you're in Piazza Boiardo, where are located the castle and the parish church of the Blessed Virgin Mary, built by Feltrino Boiardo in 1430 and containing paintings by reggiani painters  several family tombs of Boiardo and a beautiful baroque altar made of carved wood . The fortress built in the late twelfth century by Fogliano as a place of defense, and for this surrounded by a moat and a drawbridge, it became over time stately Renaissance. The extension works landscaping and restructuring reached their peak at the time of Matteo Maria Boiardo, author of the poem Orlando Innamorato and were completed under the Thiene.

Always near the church is Piazza Fiume, born from the demolition of the districts of the Jewish ghetto, which reached particular development during the eighteenth century. Although very close to Scandiano, Fellegara is a different world that brings wholesome country. The most interesting historical evidence  is a nineteenth century villa, Villa Babylon, property of Count Rangone . The noble family built in the sixteenth century a mill with oil mill, which exploited the waters of the nearby canal. Fellegara also hosts the largest vinegar of Reggio Emilia owned by family Cavalli and has been confirmed as one of the most suitable for the production of Traditional Balsamic Vinegar of Reggio Emilia.

Back to...

Share on the social